This week we’re going to be talking about a huge part of your upcoming wedding: the venue. Without it, you’re without a spot to have that nice, beautiful wedding that you’ve been dreaming of. Now, we’re just a little shy of 6 months away from my wedding, and my fiancé and I have yet to choose our venue. Since we’ve decided to get married in Columbia, South Carolina, things just got infinitely more complicated, as half of the city is currently underwater. So believe me when I tell you, we’re feeling the pressure to pick a place and SOON.
If you’re stuck in our position, looking for a venue at the last possible second, here are some tips to help with the choosing process:
1. DON'T GET PICKY. I know you’ve been picturing that dream venue for years, but you’re in a huge time crunch and you’re going to have to compromise on some things. Make a list of what you can’t live without, what you can compromise on and what you can do or make for yourself.
2. STOP STRESSING. I know it’s hard to keep a cool head, but you’re not doing yourself (or your fiancé) any favors by stressing out. It’s just going to make your task completely impossible. Planning your wedding is supposed to be fun!
3. BE FLEXIBLE. Pick a range of possible dates, of possible locations and of possible styles that you would be happy with at your wedding. Once again, if you’re picking a last minute venue, you’re going to have to compromise.
Picking a venue is a tough choice, and there are a lot of things to consider. It can take some couples MONTHS to decide on which venue that they want to use, so here are some questions to ask to make your process just a little bit easier:
· Are they going to allow you to use your own vendors, or do they have a list of venders they prefer you to use?
· Are they going to provide catering?
· What is their price to rent, for how long and what’s included?
· Do they offer a break in the price for off season months, or for a Sunday through Friday wedding?
· What is the venue’s cancellation policy?
· If the venue is outdoors, do they have a backup plan for inclement weather?
· Is the venue licensed to serve alcohol?
· Can you bring in your cake or will they handle it there?
It can be hard to find that perfect place, in the budget, that allows you to make your wedding day dreams come true, but it CAN be done, if you keep your head up and keep pushing through!
So that's venue shopping. I'll be back soon with more tips (and personal experience) on wedding planning, but for now, I'm off to find myself a venue. Happy planning!